I used all my milkweed up making Battered Milkweed the other day, so I went out the field yesterday and picked a whole lot more. In the past I've been using the young tender tips, but this time I decided to see what would happen if I used some of the bigger older leaves. To my surprise they worked out great. So far, this is my favorite. I used a few pieces of homemade crusty wheat bread that made a nice spongy bread pudding feel to it. It's not bad with mustard on the side.
1.5 cups boiled milkweed - chopped
1 medium yellow onion
2 garlic cloves
1.5 tablespoons mustard
2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon dill weed
2 eggs
1.5 cups milk
4 slices of thick home made bread
1 medium chicken breast
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350. Saute the onions and garlic. Remove and allow to cool. In separate bowl mix onion, eggs, 1 cup of milk, mustard, coriander, and dill weed. Slice chicken breast into thin strips and boil about five minutes. Remove chicken and allow to cool. Cut into bite size pieces. Mix chicken, milkweed, and onion and garlic mixture into egg mixture. Grease a nine inch casserole dish and crumble a piece of bread into the bottom. Dump half the mixture over the bread chunks. Chunk remaining bread slices and cover with remaining mixture. Allow mixture to settle and pour remaining half cup of milk over casserole dish. Cook for 40 minutes, cover with cheese, sprinkle on bread crumbs and broil until cheese is brown and crispy.
No comments:
Post a Comment